A week has now passed since the United States Supreme Court announced its historic decisions regarding homosexual marriage. Though we are rightly saddened and troubled by the continual outworking of sin in this world, we should not be surprised. The activity of man’s rebellion against God Almighty has been multiplying ever since Eve ate the forbidden fruit (Hos. 4:1-3; 2 Tim. 3:1-5). As the moral fabric of our country keeps eroding at a breathtaking pace, God’s will for us as His people is clear and unchanging. By His strength, we must be sober about sin and God’s judgment (Rom. 1:18-32); saturated with God’s grace and truth in Jesus Christ (Jn. 1:14-18); steadfast and humble in our calling as God’s “mercied” ambassadors (Titus 3:1-8; 1 Pet. 2:9-12); and standing firm in the eternal hope of God’s grace in Christ (1 Pet. 5:12).
For some additional perspectives about the Supreme Court decisions, and how Christians should respond, you might read the following:
- “Waiting for the Other Shoe to Drop” – The Supreme Court Rules on Same-Sex Marriage (Albert Mohler)
- How Should Same-Sex Marriage Change the Church’s Witness? (Russell Moore)
- How Should You Explain the Same-Sex Marriage Debate to Your Children? (Russell Moore)
- 2 Lies Behind the Prop 8 Challenge (Jesse Johnson)
- Where the Prop 8 Ruling Leaves Us (Jesse Johnson)
Beloved, God has called us to be fully assured in the hope of the Gospel (2 Pet. 1:10-11), fully unashamed in the saving power of the Gospel (Rom. 1:16), and fully committed to the ongoing proclamation of the Gospel (Acts 1:8). Our message and mission on this earth has not, and never will, change. For a solid reminder of the sweeping, eternal grandeur of the Gospel, check out this 10-minute video from Matt Papa.
In the Living Hope of Jesus,